Al Chen, CPA
Professor of Accounting, Poole College of Management, Accounting Department
- Sustainability performance measurement
- Sustainability reporting
- Business sustainability issues and practices
- Environmental cost management
I strive to engage in multidisciplinary programs that develop tools and performance indicators to support business to achieve positive outcomes in environmental, economic systems and diversity through my research. My students learn to identify, engage and empower themselves in making sustainability improvements.
Sustainability Related Courses
- MBA 590 – Data Analytics Practicum – Members of this class involve in finding solutions to current transactive energy (TE) related business issues using data-analytics skills, tools, and methodologies.
- MBA 590 – Financial Planning for Innovation – This class focus on developing student’s skills in planning, control, and evaluating organizational performance and in implementing business strategies for sustainable growth and development.
Applying research, technology and measurability Poole College Accounting Faculty Respond to SASB
The Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) is "an independent, private-sector standards setting organization based in San Francisco, California dedicated to enhancing the efficiency of the capital markets by fostering high-quality disclosure of material sustainability information that meets investor needs.
MAC Mentor Program Helps Students with Accounting Career Planning
College recruiting in public accounting is highly competitive. Ten years ago, firms were recruiting students for internships in their senior year and graduate students were presented with many full time opportunities. Times have changed.
Key Research Publications
- Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics: Why the Most Widely Used Sustainability Metrics Fail to Measure Actual Achievement and How a New, More Advanced Methodology Solves This Dilemma, Journal of Applied Corporate Finance (Volume 29, Number 2, Spring 2017, pp.109-114).
- Assurance Map: An Opportunity to Add Value by Internal Auditors, Internal Auditor, (December 2016, pp.53-56) John B. Thurston Award for 2016 most outstanding feature article.
- How Widely Used Sustainability Metrics Distort Actual Performance-And a Solution to this All-Too-Common Problem, Environmental Quality Management (Volume 24, Number 4, Summer 2015, pp.1-9).
- Flexible Budgeting Applied to Sustainability Measurements, IMA Research Foundation C-Suite Report. NJ: Institute of Management Accountants (August 2015)
- Applying Target Costing in the Development of Marketable and Environmentally Friendly Products from Swine Waste, The Engineering Economist, April-June 2008, Volume 53, Number 2, pp. 156-170.