February 27, 2018
By Iman Usmani, BSC Associate
The Social and Environmental Impact Category in the Lulu eGames saw another excellent showing this year with 33 student ventures participating in the first round of the competition. The Lulu eGames is NC State’s annual startup competition, with over $100k in prizes available for NC State entrepreneurs. Students can compete in 6 categories - New Venture, Design and Prototype, Social and Environmental Impact, Built on Cloud, Arts Venture and the Daugherty Endowment which is by invitation only.
The Social and Environmental Impact category was added in 2016 in collaboration with NC State Poole College Business Sustainability Collaborative. The track supports student ventures that demonstrate they are using the power of business to solve environmental and social challenges. Finalist teams are chosen by a panel of judges across a variety of industries and were selected based on a two-page executive summary and video pitch.
The Lulu eGames is sponsored by online publishing company, Lulu, a certified B Corporation. The Social and Environmental Impact category is sponsored by the Business Sustainability Collaborative, local B Corporations and several other NC State programs and initiatives. Our generous 2018 sponsors include:
- Forrest Firm
- HQ Raleigh
- The Redwoods Group
- NC State Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Water Resources Research Institute of the UNC System
- Murphy’s Naturals
- NC Sea Grant Program
- NC State University Foundation
The competition awards over $100,000 in prizes overall and $10,000 for the Socialand Environmental Impact category. For the Social Impact category, the first place team receives $4,500, second place receives $2,500 and third place receives $1,500. There were also the judges' choice award and the fan favorite video where the audience choose which team had the best video advertising their venture.
Judging takes place in two rounds. Round 1 where judges review and score initial entries consisting of a two-page application and 60-second video. Round 2 where judges review and score the top 7 business plans and attend an in-person pitch round on Friday, March 23.
Round 1 Judges
- Rich Clerkin, Insitute for Nonprofits, NC State University
- Tyler Daniel, Insitute for Nonprofits, NC State University
- Monika Kondura, Lecturer, UNC Chapel Hill
- Cris Maselle, Business to Business Marketing Communicatoins
- Jessica Porta, Director, HQ Raleigh
- Leigh Shamblin, Poole College of Management, NC State University
- Adam Wanee, Attorney at Law, Forrest Firm
Round 2 Judges
- Elizabeth Benefield, Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation, NC State University
- David Morris, Attorney at Law, Forrest Firm
- Christina Smith, Consultant, The Redwoods Group
- Liz Tracy, former Director, HQ Raleigh
- Anita Watkins, Rex Healthcare
Thursday, Apr. 5 the Lulu eGames Awards Ceremony will take place at 5:30 p.m. in Talley Student Center when the top 3 winners in the Social and Environmental Impact category will be announced along with the winners from the other categories!