Poole College Zero Waste Program
Objective & Goals
NC State has a goal of diverting 65 percent of its waste from landfills by 2015. The Zero Waste Program will support Poole College’s involvement in this campus-wide goal to reduce, reuse, and recycle. The program provides guidance, funding and resources for faculty, staff, and students to support waste reduction at Poole College events and within Nelson Hall.
Earth Day t-shirts are made from recycled cotton and plastic bottles, and volunteers rave about the comfortable, non-shrink fabric.
Sustainable Event Certification
Do you have a Poole College event coming up? Would you like to learn more about reducing the waste from your event?
The Sustainability Office has created a Sustainable Event Certification to recognize sustainable campus event planning. This certification helps event planners incorporate sustainable strategies in areas of food, waste, purchasing, education, marketing, transportation, service, energy, and water usage.
Homecoming created a mobile app instead of printing 6,000 flyers a day during the week-long Homecoming event.
Here are a few ideas to get you started as you plan your event:
- When serving food and drinks at your event, consider incorporating plates, utensils, and cups that can be reused, composted, or recycled.
- Minimize unnecessary waste from excess food packaging and giveaway items. Avoid individually wrapped items; consider buying bulk items that have less packaging.
- Consider using decorations that can be reused, composted, or recycled.
The following steps can help you reach goals for a more sustainable event:
- Read through the Sustainable Event Guide, which is full of information, tips, and guidelines.
- Request event bins (known as clearstreams) from Waste Reduction and Recycling to provide clear options for event guests (recycling, composting, and landfill waste). These bins are free for students, while the Business Sustainability Collaborative covers the cost for faculty and staff.
- Keep track of your progress with the Sustainable Event Checklist.
- Use this online certification form to request certification for your event.
Event bins can be requested to enable easy composting, recycling, and waste collection at your event.
Sustainable Workplace Certification
Are you interested in learning how you can create a more sustainable workplace within the Poole College of Management?
The Sustainability Office has also created a Sustainable Workplace Certification. An individual, a group of individuals, or an entire department can seek a Sustainable Workplace Certification. Earning Wolfpack Certified Sustainable recognition acknowledges your department’s direct impact on improving campus sustainability – something that Poole College of Management is committed to.
Here are a few ideas to help you create and maintain a more sustainable workplace:
- Before buying new office supplies, look into getting them through the Waste Reduction and Recycling office supply reuse program. Office supplies in good condition can be donated to this program.
- When practical, share electronic files instead of printing. If you must, print double-sided in draft mode to save paper and ink. Contact WolfCopy to learn how to set your printer to default to double-sided printing.
- When cleaning out an office or department, Waste Reduction and Recycling offers office recycling support services. Prior to moving or cleaning out, you can request from one to three clean-out bins to be delivered to your office for free. Paper, old files, books, journals, magazines, and reusable office supplies can be placed into these bins for collection.
The following steps can help you reach goals for a more sustainable workplace:
- Read through the Sustainable Workplace Guide for ideas and simple everyday actions you can begin to incorporate.
- Contact Waste Reduction and Recycling to request clean-out bins and donate extra supplies in good condition to the office supply reuse program.
- Use this online certification form to request Sustainable Workplace Certification.
To learn more about waste reduction and recycling efforts at NC State, please visit Waste Reduction and Recycling.
To learn more about sustainability on campus, please visit the Sustainability Office.
Are you a student who wants to get more involved in sustainability initiatives at NC State?
- For Poole College initiatives, become a Business Sustainability Collaborative Associate!
- For campus-wide initiatives, become a NC State Steward!